Translate this page?

Affordable Housing and Financial Help for Rent or Utilities - How to find

[  Suggest an Update |  Suggest Volunteer Opportunity ]
Record #: BTN1074 Last Full Update: 26 Apr 2013
Memos and Bulletins
Comments for the PublicEmergency shelters see record for Emergency shelters serving Burlington and area 
This database also has records for:  
Income Programs and Financial Assistance 
Free and low cost dental care 
Free and low cost legal help
Agency and Service Names
Alternate NameHelp with utility, gas, electricity, heating bills ; Low-Income / Subsidized / Nonprofit /non-profit / public / Ontario housing ; Rent payment assistance
Former NameOntario housing ; Public housing
Agency Information
Parent Agency NameGeneral Topics and Information
Service Level(50) Non Profit
Service Information
Service DescriptionThis record explains different types of housing and how to apply, and is an index to other housing-related records in this database. 
* Subsidized (below-market-rent or rent-geared-to-income) units, for people who meet low-income criteria  
* Market rent units, for people of any income  
Some nonprofit housing communities are exclusively for seniors or people with disabilities, and some provide supportive services, such as meals, personal support, etc.  
Some nonprofit housing is owned by Halton Region through the Halton Community Housing Corporation (this was formerly called public housing or Ontario Housing), and some is owned by other nonprofit organizations and charities. * the complete list of both types may be found at Halton Region's Search Subsidized Housing Communities page 
To apply: The details for each housing community in the search above shows how to apply (in general, for market rent units apply directly to housing provider, and for subsidized units most share a centralized application process through HATCH (Halton Access to Community Housing), at Halton Region 905-825-6000, but some take applications directly). 
RENT DEPOSIT for acquiring private rental market unit ('last month' portion only) may be available from Halton Region 905-825-6000 for low-income people who qualify. 
Housing Stability Fund (formerly called the Rent Bank and Energy Emergency Fund) provides one-time assistance for those who are qualified. * limitations apply * call Halton Region Coordinated Intervention Services Team at 905-825-6000 
Additional help with hydro or gas bills may be available through Winter Warmth & LEAP program  
PROPERTY TAX REBATE AND DEFERRAL see Property Tax Deferral Program and Low Income Seniors Property Tax Rebate 
Halton Community Legal Services provides legal assistance to low income people for housing and landlord/tenant issues in private rental market.
Areas ServedHalton Region
Site Information
Located In CommunityHalton Region
Wheelchair AccessibilityUnknown or Not Applicable - Accessibility varies by location
Taxonomy and Classification
Service CategoriesHousing Expense Assistance ; Housing Expense Assistance ~ Low Income ; Housing Search and Information ; Housing Search and Information ~ Low Income ; Low Income/Subsidized Rental Housing ; Low Income/Subsidized Rental Housing ~ Low Income ; Utility Assistance ; Utility Assistance ~ Low Income