How to Find - Newcomer to Canada (Immigrant / Refugee) Services

Site: Halton

Memos and Bulletins
Public Comments For full list of "How to Find" records on different topics, see here
Agency Information
Legal Status (30) Provincial Government ; (40) Federal Government ; (50) Non Profit
Description and Service Details
Description (Service) This topic record gives an overview of services to assist newcomers to Canada, and is an index to related records in this database. 
1. Halton Newcomer Portal 
2. Free settlement and integration service providers, funded by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (for details see separate section below) 
3. website, see here  
4. Community Information Centres throughout Halton, see here (for help in languages other than English, dial 3-digit number "211" to reach 211Halton, which uses this database to provide information & referral, and has live translation services in more than 150 languages). 
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada is responsible for screening and approving immigrants, foreign students, visitors and temporary workers for admission to Canada.  
See website here for the most authoritative and up-to-date information on immigration and documents, including: 
* Immigrating (eligibility, application and arrival) 
* Permanent Resident Card 
* Checking status of application and applying online 
* Citizenship 
Discover Canada publication (to prepare for Canadian citizenship test): 
* available online here, to read online, download or listen  
* a free print copy can be ordered to be sent to your home, order online here or by calling 1-888-567-7183 
* available to borrow at some Burlington Public Library locations, for currently available copies see here  
Free settlement and integration services for newcomers to Canada are funded by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada to provide advice and help on: 
* renting or purchasing housing 
* accessing health care 
* getting work 
* foreign credentials assessment 
* finding child care 
* getting a driver's licence 
* school registration  
* and many other subjects 
Available in Burlington, Oakville, Milton and surrounding areas
See separate record here 
Contact HMC Connections (former name Halton Multicultural Council), for details see full record here  
* may be a fee for document translation 
HEALTH INSURANCE: (more information also available from Settlement and Integration services, above) 
1. Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) 
Provides publicly-funded health care for residents of Ontario 
* apply at ServiceOntario Service Counter, for details see full records here  
* 3-month waiting period, except for some who are exempt, including Convention Refugees and other protected persons, and some others (for complete details, see here)  
* Newcomers are advised to take out private health insurance to cover any medical expenses that may arise during waiting period  
2. Interim Federal Health Program 
Provides limited temporary coverage of health-care costs to protected persons, including resettled refugees, refugee claimants, certain persons detained under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and other specified groups, who are not eligible for provincial or territorial health insurance plans and where a claim cannot be made under private health insurance.  
For more information see here
Newcomers to Ontario may use a valid licence from another province or country for 60 days, after which they may only drive with a valid Ontario driver's licence  
* to apply for an Ontario driver's licence, go to Drivetest Centre (for locations, see full records here). 
For more information on driver's licences for newcomers, see Ministry of Transportation website here.
Hours Contact organization for information
Areas Served Halton Region
Eligibility Varies by program.
Application Varies by program.
Languages English ; other languages and translation services may be available * contact each organization/service for more information
Fees Service - for some, varies by service
Site Information
Located In Community Halton Region
Physical Access Not Applicable
Categories and Classification
Service Categories Cultural Transition Counselling ; English as a Second Language ; Immigrant/Refugee Employment Programs ; Interpretation/Translation ; Newcomer Settlement Services ; Newcomer Settlement Services ~ Syrian Community ; Refugee Health Insurance ; Specialized Information and Referral ~ Immigration Issues

Agency Overview

Any omissions are unintentional and HIP disclaims any liability for unauthorized use or reproduction of any portion of this site. For a complete copyright and license statement please refer to our Terms of Use.