How to Find - Dental Care and Free, Low Cost, Emergency and Special Needs Dental Services
|Memos and Bulletins|
|Public Comments||This database also has records for: Income Programs and Financial Assistance, Affordable Housing and Financial Help for Rent or Utilities, Free and low cost legal help|
|Parent Agency Name||General Topics and Information|
|Legal Status||(99) Unknown / No Service|
|Description (Service)||This topic record gives a general overview of how to find a dentist, hygienist or emergency dental services, as well as free and reduced-cost dental care, and provides an index to other dental-related records in this database. |
TO FIND A DENTIST:
See Ontario Dental Association website here or Yellow Pages under "Dentists".
TO FIND A DENTAL HYGIENIST:
See College of Dental Hygienists of Ontario website here or Yellow Pages under "Dental Hygienists".
SPECIAL NEEDS DENTISTRY:
Mount Sinai Hospital (Toronto) has a Dentistry Clinic for Persons with Special Needs, see here.
EMERGENCY DENTAL SERVICES:
1. Telehealth Ontario provides advice and information over the phone, see separate record here
2. Burlington Dental Academy provides referral to 24-hour emergency services for clients of member dentists, see separate record here.
IN-HOME DENTAL HYGIENE SERVICES:
See list here
FREE DENTAL SERVICES
Children and youth aged 17 and under:
Apply to Halton Region 905-825-6000 for Healthy Smiles Ontario (see separate record here) or Children in Need of Treatment (CINOT) program (see separate record here)
* income and other criteria apply
*Children in Need of Treatment (CINOT) program covers emergency and urgent care, Healthy Smiles Ontario covers regular checkups, cleaning and scaling, fillings, x-rays and more, does not cover orthodontics or cosmetic procedure
Halton Region Health Department may provide financial assistance for dental treatment for individuals who do not have dental insurance or any other coverage and who would have difficulty paying for dental treatment
* for application and assessment contact Halton Region Health Dept at 905-825-6000
* eligible individuals may include Ontario Works recipients with an urgent dental condition or adults with a dental need who are 65 and older, or aged 64 and under with special needs (difficulty with getting dressed, bathing, grooming, toileting, or physical transferring).
REDUCED-COST DENTAL SERVICES
For oral hygiene, cleaning, etc:
1. Some colleges with oral health education programs have reduced-cost oral hygiene clinics:
* in the Burlington/Hamilton area this is available only at the Ontario Dental Education Institute, Public Clinic in Ancaster (for information see here), others previously in Hamilton and Burlington have closed
* reduced-cost clinics are also available in Toronto at George Brown College WAVE Dental Clinic (see separate record here).
2. Cleaning, scaling, oral hygiene services, etc. may be less expensive at independent dental hygienists, rather than through a dentist's office (to find independent hygienists, see 'To Find a Dental Hygienist' above).
For other procedures:
1. University of Toronto, Dental Faculty, Reduced Cost Dental Clinic (for details see separate record here): fillings, dentures, braces, bridges, implants, children's dentistry, root canals, crowns, treatment of gum disease, extractions of wisdom teeth, and more, Oral Surgery Department can perform tooth extractions for patients who do not want any other dental treatment.
2. George Brown College, WAVE Dental Clinic (for details see separate record here): dental (oral) hygiene services, x-rays, scaling and polishing, denture clinic, restorative dental hygiene (dental fillings, veneers, bonding).
|Areas Served||Halton Region|
|Fees||Service - for some, varies by service|
|Located In Community||Burlington|
|Accessibility||Unknown - Accessibility varies by location|
|Taxonomy and Classification|
|Service Categories||Dental Hygiene ; Dental Hygiene ~ Developmental Disabilities ; Dental Hygiene ~ Low Income ; Dental Screening ; Dental Screening ~ Developmental Disabilities ; Dental Screening ~ Low Income ; General Dentistry ; General Dentistry ~ Developmental Disabilities ; General Dentistry ~ Low Income|
|Source Database||© Halton Information Providers|