If you notice an error on this page, please use the "Suggest an Update" link to let us know about it.
Translate this page?
Emergency shelters in Halton and area, How to find
|Comments for the Public||This database also has records for: |
Income Programs and Financial Assistance
Affordable Housing and Financial Help for Rent or Utilities
Free and low cost dental care
Free and low cost legal help
|Alternate Name||Emergency Housing ; Halton Lighthouse Shelter ; Safe Beds|
|Located In Community||Halton Region|
|Wheelchair Accessibility||Unknown or Not Applicable - accessibility varies by location|
|Areas Served||Halton Region ; and area|
|Description||This record provides an overview and index of shelters in Burlington, Hamilton and Oakville, all of which may be used by people in the Burlington area. |
Salvation Army Halton Lighthouse Shelter in Oakville is the only general emergency shelter for Halton. * shelter may be able to arrange transportation from Burlington
For intake, call Halton Region 905-825-6000 and dial 0 for receptionist.
During business hours (Mon-Fri 8:30-4:30) caller will speak with an intake worker.
After business hours Halton Region switchboard will transfer the calls of singles and couples without children directly to Lighthouse Shelter in Oakville. * calls of families with children will be returned by an on-call intake worker, who may be able to place the family in a motel room
If the Lighthouse Shelter is full, or the person has been restricted from the shelter, Halton Region or Lighthouse Shelter will make referrals to shelters in other communities, and may be able to arrange transportation. * those in need of shelter are expected to accept the first bed offered
FOR ABUSED WOMEN AND THEIR DEPENDENT CHILDREN ONLY:
Halton Womens Place (Mon-Sun 24 hours)
Administration 905-332-1200 * crisis phone 905-332-7892
SAFE BEDS FOR THOSE EXPERIENCING A MENTAL HEALTH ISSUE:
Canadian Mental Health Association, Safe Beds facility is provided to persons 16 years of age and older who are experiencing a mental health issue and are in need of short term mental health crisis service. * crisis bed facility is 10 beds in the Lighthouse Shelter
From 8 am-12 midnight, the Safe Beds program can be called directly at 905-849-8443 for self-referral. * referrals can also be made by hospital social worker
Person in need of shelter can also call COAST Halton 1-877-825-9011 and ask for referral to the safe beds program (COAST is able to make a referral after just a phone interview if necessary).
Halton residents may also use shelters in other communities if space is available (call ahead.) * transportation may be available through Halton Lighthouse Shelter or the destination shelter:
1) Good Shepherd Centre has separate emergency shelters for men, women and youth, and for those experiencing mental health crisis.
* Men's Shelter 905-528-9109
* Martha House Women's Crisis Line 905-523-6277
* Youth Shelter 905-308-8090
* Barrett Centre 24/7 Mental Health Crisis Line 905-529-7878
2) Mission Services of Hamilton
* Men's Residence 905-528-7635
* Inasmuch House, for single women 16 and older and for mothers and their children, 905-529-8149, women's crisis phone (24 hrs) 905-529-8600
3) Native Womens Centre 905-664-1114, toll-free 1-888-308-6559, accepts long-distance and local collect crisis calls. * for women of any age, ancestry or sexual orientation, with or without children
Call Street Helpline Peel 1-877-848-8481
1) 24-hour women's crisis line 519-836-5710 * toll-free 1-800-265-7233
2) Shelters: during business hours central intake is done through the Drop-In Centre 519-837-0080 * after hours, call shelter directly: The Stepping Stone (men) 519-837-0633 * Elizabeth Place (women and children to age 12) 519-829-2844
1) Toronto central shelter intake line: 416-338-4766 * Toll Free 1-877-338-3398 (GTA only)
2) Ernestine's Women's Shelter: Toll-Free 1-866-863-0511 provides emergency housing for abused women and their children
3) Fem'Aide, Ligne de soutien pour femmes francophones victimes de violence 1-877-336-2433 (1-877-FEMAIDE)
To find shelter contact information call 211Niagara (24/7) 1-800-263-3695
|Service Level||(50) Non Profit ; (51) Registered Charity|
|Service Categories||Domestic Violence Shelters ; Homeless Shelter|