Oakville. Recreation and Culture
Community Centres and Arenas in Oakville
Volunteer opportunities include greeting families, directing visitors or even dressing up as mascots!
Volunteers must be 14 years or older.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Halton and Hamilton, Oakville Office
Community Centres located in Oakville and Burlington
Volunteers will mentor black youth within a community based setting. Volunteers will assist in providing mentoring relationships while black youth participate in activities that reflect Caribbean and African heritage, cultural icons, carnival arts, diaspora experiences and other fun group based activities.
Halton Children's Aid Society, Burlington Office
GO Stations - Burlington (at Fairview near Walmart) and Burlington (Aldershot)
We are “Raising the Roof” once again! Please join the Children’s Aid Foundation of Halton on Toque Tuesday, February 4th, 2020 to help raise funds for the “Raising the Roof” campaign and our own Bridging the Gap program.
-We need volunteers to sell warm and trendy toques to commuters at two Burlington GO stations. (Burlington GO and Appleby GO).
-Early morning before school or work from 5:30-8:30am.
-Singers, musicians and volunteers willing to wear colorful clothing will help to attract sleepy commuters.
-Teams of 8-10 volunteers who are bubbly, outgoing, and who wish to have fun by using noisemakers, playing music or wearing bright clothing in order to get the attention of sleepy commuters, would be fantastic!
-You will wear Children’s Aid Foundation of Halton vests to help you identify as a volunteer.
-Debit/credit machines (POS) will be available to complete transactions.
This is a fun, high-energy event that you and/or your youth will really enjoy!
Nanny Angel Network
Nanny Angels provide free, specialized in-home relief childcare support for mothers who have been diagnosed with cancer, for those requiring palliative care and for families requiring additional relief during the bereavement period. All of our Nanny Angels have two important things in common: their love of children and their commitment to providing excellent, dependable childcare for mothers with cancer.
Become a Nanny Angel! How you can help:
• Provide fun, educational, creative and safe experiences for the children
• Minimum 6 months of commitment to ensure support during the duration of a mom’s cancer treatment and recovery
• 4 hours of childcare service per week to the same family
• Volunteers are matched with families based on compatibility and location within the Greater Toronto Area: Halton, Peel, York, Durham Regions and the City of Toronto.
The role is not that of a babysitter, housekeeper or personal assistant – Nanny Angels are there to engage and support the children.
Community Development Halton, Volunteer Halton
376 Plains Rd. E. - L7T 1N8. South side: "Kay Fisher Realty" in red letters over the door.
You would also a member of our Development Committee, collaborating and assisting a Fundraising Subcommittee (being developed). The Committee meets twice a month on a Tuesday evening (6:30-7:30) in Aldershot, Burlington. Attending Committee meetings when possible will provide knowledge of our values, history, current activities, procedures, and weaknesses vs. strengths. We have had a poor record in fundraising and are committed to gaining skills and strategies. We would invite you from time to time to meet with the Board.
Museums of Burlington, Ireland House Museum
Museum special events take place at Ireland House Museum and/or Joseph Brant Museum, in Burlington
Assist with the delivery of special events.There are a variety of event components and duties to choose from that may include: serving refreshments, conducting tours, reception/admission duties, gift shop sales, assisting in the children’s activity area or set-up of equipment for the event (some heavy lifting may be required).
If you'd like to become actively involved in making a positive contribution in your community, we have various volunteer positions available with ActiveChefs - a not-for-profit charitable organization (Canadian registered charity) serving school-age children in various elementary schools & community neighbourhoods covering Oakville, Burlington, Milton, Acton, Georgetown, Mississauga and Brampton.
Based on your background, expertise & special interest, you could help with various organizational initiatives such as marketing, communication, social media, event management & coordination, youth & community engagement, fundraising, donations, program support, administrative support, coaching, recreation, program activities, teaching assistance, education support, general assistance, transportation, food prep, kitchen work, meal preparation, usher, server, games, sports etc.
We are seeking dynamic and energetic individuals to:
- Help develop, plan & organize special events and support our organizational fundraising activities.
- Work with other team members to identify, solicit & connect with potential donors, prospects and sponsors.
- Assist create communications, mailing lists, promotional and marketing materials.
- Support other initiatives like annual gala, anniversary celebrations, event programming, volunteer & alumni relations, PR and special campaigns, as needed and assigned.
- Manage highly sensitive financial and other personal information with confidentiality.
- Willingness and ability to travel and meet deadlines is required.
Prior relevant experience in a similar role especially working with non-profit organizations/charities/charitable foundations/schools is preferred but not necessary. Must have excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills and computer proficiency. Demonstrated organizational skills, attention to detail and sense of urgency. Superb in negotiation and relationship cultivation. Creative-thinker, self-starter with ability to work independently and within a team.
Milton Community Resource Centre
At your personal or organizational event
- Organize and host your own personal/community/sports team/etc. event or product drive to collect donations
- Encourage guests and participants to bring a donation for the Infant Food Bank - diapers, formula, cereal and/or jars and pouches of baby food
-Volunteers work with the Infant Food Bank Facilitator to provide a plan for their event which includes methods of gathering donations, outline of product or fundraising goal and identification of event timeline.
- MCRC will provide posters and information about the Infant Food Bank and, if you like, an Infant Food Bank container for your guests to fill
Note: You can drop off your collected donations to MCRC at 410 Bronte Street South, Milton or we can arrange to pick them up.
Students: earn up to 4 hours of volunteer time for organizing and hosting your own Infant Food Bank event
Public & Catholic Schools in Halton & Peel and other Community Partner Locations
ActiveChefs is a not-for-profit charitable organization (Canadian registered charity) dedicated to promoting health and well-being of children. You will assist ActiveChefs Staff and Instructors with programs and activities (during-school and after-school) for elementary school children (ages 5-12 years) in Halton and Peel Region (Oakville, Burlington, Milton, Acton, Georgetown, Mississauga, Brampton and Caledon).
Victorian Order of Nurses, Toronto-York Region Branch, Peel Satellite Office
Delivering meals to Oakville or Mississauga
a) Pick up and deliver meals to clients, including:
• Reporting to the designated depot at the assigned time (Mississauga near Oakville border)
• Picking up route list, and meals, etc.
• Delivering meals to assigned clients, dropping off notices etc. within expected time frames
• Ensuring that meals are received by the client at the time of delivery or following previously made arrangements or procedures
• Talking with the client to observe that they are safe and all is well
• Returning containers and any money collected to the designated depot
• Returning any undelivered meals to the designated depot
b) Maintain confidentiality of route sheets
c) Submission of expense claim form as required
d) Use “MOW” car sign to facilitate parking and to increase community awareness of the program
e) Report to the supervisor any concerns regarding the well-being of the clients
f) Attend in-service training as arranged by the branch, including initial orientation
Extendicare Halton Hills, Long-Term Care Centre
9 Lindsay Court, Georgetown, On L7G 6G9
Play your instrument for individuals or in a group setting. We are looking for people who play an instrument to enhance the lives of our residents through music. Utilize the skills you have learned and entertain the residents of our home.
Indus Community Services, Oakville Office, Newcomer and Employment Services
- Call clients in their home or assisted living facility; minimum of 30 minutes weekly visit at a mutually agreed upon time (between Mon-Sun, 9am-7pm)
- Build a supportive relationship through conversation and discussion
- Actively engage client in topics of interest including reminiscing about past experiences
- Complete the Friendly Visiting Monthly Service Record
- Report issues, concerns and all incidents to the Friendly Visiting Coordinator
- Represent Indus in a professional manner at all times
- Adhere to the vision, mission and guiding values of the organization and the Friendly Visiting Program.
Halton Baby-Friendly Initiative
1151 Bronte Road, Oakville
Promote, protect and support breastfeeding in the Halton community. Attend and participate in monthly planning meetings (2 hrs per month). Participate in work groups to create/edit resources, plan and host community events for families.
Habitat for Humanity Halton-Mississauga
1800 Appleby Line, Burlington and 700 Main St. E., Milton
• Ensure the merchandise is presented in a tidy, clean and organized manner to encourage sales
• Responsible to know what merchandise is currently on the shelves
• Be able to respond to customer inquiries regarding merchandise when needed
• Assist with loading and unloading donated merchandise from/to customers’ vehicles
• Actively approach customers to help them find items they are looking for
• Be courteous, respectful and professional to both the customer and your fellow volunteers
• Train and provide support to all new volunteers as required
• Ensure work area is clean, tidy and safe at all times
• Assist in providing information on Habitat for Humanity and making referrals when appropriate
• Other duties as required.
Habitat for Humanity Halton-Mississauga
1800 Appleby Line, Unit 10, Burlington and 700 Main St. E.,Milton
Assisting in the ReStore.
Provide customer service
Help with general housekeeping tasks
Assist with pick ups
Repair damaged items and assembles products to sell in the ReStore
Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada, Hamilton-Halton Chapter
The visits will be taking place in the Long-Term Care Home that your match resides in.
A Friendly Visitor is someone who will visit weekly/bi-weekly to spend time with the individual they are matched with. This is a social and recreational visit, talking, reading a book together, playing games/cards, grabbing a coffee/drink and sitting outside or even just watching tv or a movie together.
Often times living in a Long Term Care (LTC) can be lonely, many of the individuals living with MS in LTC can often be more isolated because of the age difference and interests compared to the other residents.
If you have a spare few hours a month, you can really make a difference in someone's life.
Must be over 18 years old to complete Vulnerable Sector Screening Police Check screening requirements
Halton Environmental Network, Queen Elizabeth Park Community and Cultural Centre
HEN is currently seeking dedicated volunteers to support our community to divert waste at events in the community of Halton. Duties include working with the public, education, asking and instructing the public on recycling and composting to help support proper mitigation.
Links2Care, Georgetown, Community Social Services Programs
Georgetown and Acton area
Drives to deliver meals with or without another volunteer to seniors and shut-ins in the area. Ensures that all meal components are being delivered. The driver could be expected to deliver meals in apartment buildings. A general knowledge of the Georgetown area is an asset.
Canadian Blood Services, Halton
1250 Brant Street, Burlington, Ontario
The need for blood is constant and we welcome donors to help patients in need.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Halton and Hamilton, Oakville Office
A volunteer(s) is matched with a little brother or sister between the ages of six and sixteen. Together they spend 2 or 3 hours a week out in the community enjoying shared interests and participating in low cost social, educational and recreational activities. It is highly recommended that the volunteer have access to a vehicle.
Melanoma Network of Canada
Steam Whistle Brewing 255 Bremner Blvd., Toronto, ON
Special event logistics: Prepackage raffle prizes, promotion, ticket sales, printing, packaging tickets
Event day: Set-up, clean-up, registration, raffle ticket sales, silent auction navigation.