|Record #: BTN5165||Last Full Update: 19 Jul 2017|
|Toll Free Phone||1-877-382-2262|
|Social Media|| Facebook: www.facebook.com/Speroway/
|Located In Community||Burlington|
|Address & Map||
5230 South Service Rd, Unit 202
Burlington, ON L7L 5K2
View Google Map
|Intersection||Appleby Line and Harvester Rd|
|Mailing Address||PO Box 1517
Burlington, ON L7R 4L9
|Agency and Service Names|
|Former Name||Feed The Children Canada|
|Description (Agency)||Registered charity that provides access to emergency food to disadvantaged children and families globally, and to vulnerable communities in Canada. Also provides support through quality education, healthcare, and life skills training.
By investing in the local communities and relying on the strength of volunteers—both in Canada and internationally—Speroway works towards lasting impact in the fight against global hunger, illness, illiteracy and poverty.
|Legal Status||(50) Non Profit|
|Established||1979 (in the United States), 2004 (in Canada)|
|Primary Executive||Ken Forbes, President|
|Funding||Grants ; Fundraising ; Donations ; Monetary donations from individuals are used to support overseas programs and for shipping containers of food and commodities overseas and within Canada. Welcomes corporate donations of nonperishable food items and clothing, does not accept donations of individual items.|
|Description and Service Details|
|Description (Service)||Provides children and families internationally and in vulnerable communities in Canada with food and the essential nutrients they need:
* school feeding programs that not only supply educational and health benefits, but contribute to gender equality, food security and poverty alleviation
* works with communities to grow sustainable food and promote public health education, improved seeds and better farming practices result in increased agricultural productivity which improves overall nutrition in the community.
Seeks to break cycles of poverty by increasing children’s access to quality education and developing the next generation of leaders through
* secondary and post-secondary scholarships
* life skills training
* community education initiatives.
Works to strengthen the well-being of children and families through:
* promoting health and nutrition practices
* work on the prevention of major diseases and provide opportunities to augment maternal and child health.
Across Canada, Speroway supports communities in need, including First Nations communities, refugees, and other vulnerable groups
* distributes food, warm clothing, and hygiene items to families in need through partners across the country, including food banks, community centres, women and children shelters, churches and schools
Welcomes large and small corporate donations of non-perishable food and clothing (does not accept donations of individual items from the public).
|Hours||Mon-Fri 8:30 am-5 pm * some weekends when preparing food boxes|
|Areas Served||Canada ; International - Kenya, Malawi, Haiti, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, NIcaragua, Nepal|
|Eligibility||Children and families in need.|
|Application||Contact for information.|
|Categories and Classification|
|Service Categories||Food Collection and Storage ; International Relief|