Burlington Kendo Club
|Record #: BTN5023||Last Full Update: 06 Dec 2016|
|Social Media|| Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/57075931382/
|Located In Community||Burlington|
|Address & Map||
Tansley Woods Community Centre (meeting location)
1996 Itabashi Way
Burlington, ON L7M 4J8
View Google Map
|Intersection||Itabashi Way and Upper Middle Rd.|
|Physical Access||Fully Accessible|
|Description (Agency)||Nonprofit club that offers traditional Kendo instruction from qualified volunteer instructors * member of the Canadian and Ontario Kendo Federations|
|Legal Status||(50) Non Profit|
|Funding||Membership fees - instructors are volunteers, fees cover facility and expenses|
|Description and Service Details|
|Description (Service)||Offers tradition Kendo instruction from qualified volunteer instructors, for those interested in martial arts, sports, or physical activity.
Typical practice begins with stretching and warm-up exercises, followed by basic footwork, strikes, or stylized forms (kata), and finishing with sparring (keiko).
* Beginners practice basic strikes and footwork on their own and with partners (motodachi)
* Senior Players practice with each other in full armour (bogu).
|Hours||Every Monday (except holidays) Sep-Jun, 7:30 pm-9:30 pm at Tansley Woods Community Centre (gymnasium), 1996 Itabashi Way, Burlington, Ontario L7M 4J8
* for possible cancellations, see Facebook page for the latest updates.
|Dates||September to June|
|Application||Drop in for a free practice, or to watch
* from 7:15 pm -7:30 pm there is an opportunity to chat with the instructors and other members before practice starts
* standard gym clothing is suitable (T-shirt, gym shorts or pants)
* kendo is practiced barefoot, there’s no shoe requirement
* club will lend you a shinai (bamboo sword) for your first few practices.
|Fees||Membership - $35 per month/$350 per year (prorated for those who join partway through year) * must also register with the Canadian Kendo Federation (annual membership fee $35) ; Those thinking of joining are welcome to try out the practice for free for a few weeks|
|Categories and Classification|
|Service Categories||Martial Arts|