IMPORTANT NOTE: Services may be impacted in response to COVID-19 (Coronavirus). Please contact agencies or programs listed on this page prior to visiting in person to receive up to date information on their services (eg. wait times, hours of operation etc…).

Canada. Transport Canada

Site: No Physical Address

Service: Pleasure Craft Licensing / Registration and Proof of Competency / Pleasure Craft Operator Card (PCOC)

Contact Information
Office Phone Toll Free 1-800-267-6687
Social Media Facebook Facebook:
Flickr Flickr:
Twitter Twitter:
YouTube YouTube:
Agency Information
Description (Agency) Responsible for Federal transportation policies and programs
Legal Status (40) Federal Government
Funding Federal
Description and Service Details
Description (Service) Transport Canada has authority over licensing/registration of vessels and proof of competency of operator 
Either licensing or registration is required for all pleasure craft fitted with one or more motors adding up to a total of 10hp (7.5 kW) or more, and primarily kept and maintained in Canada * a copy of licence/registration must be carried on board 
1) Pleasure Craft Licence:  
* a set of identification numbers at the front of the boat 
* essential for search and rescue emergency situations  
* no fee  
* for Licence Application form see here  
* for more information, forms and instructions see Transport Canada's Pleasure Craft Licences: Questions and Answers here 
2) Vessel Registration: 
You may choose to register your boat instead of licensing 
* registration offers proof of ownership, and allows owners to name their vessel 
* if the vessel will be taken outside Canada, Transport Canada recommends it be registered  
* payment of fee required  
* if the craft is already registered, the vessel's information can be found online  
* for more vessel registration information see here  
Everyone who operates a motorized pleasure craft must carry proof of competency on board 
* required in all of Canada, except the waters of Nunavut and Northwest Territories 
* required for all types of motorized boats, no matter the size or horsepower of the engine (also includes small boats with electric motors) 
Proof of competency can be any of the following: 
* Pleasure Craft Operator Card (PCOC), obtained after passing an accredited boating safety test  
* proof of having passed a boating safety course in Canada before April 1, 1999  
* a specified marine certificate from the List of Certificates of Competency, Training Certificates and other Equivalencies accepted as Proof of Competency when Operating a Pleasure Craft  
* a completed rental-boat safety checklist (good only for the rental period)  
* for Foreign Visitors, an operator card or equivalent which meets the requirements of their own state or country 
For more information, including list of accredited course providers for PCOC, see Transport Canada information on National Pleasure Craft Operator Competency Program here
Hours Mon-Fri 8 am-5 pm
Areas Served Canada
Eligibility Pleasure craft operators of any age and ability
Application Contact or see website for information
Languages English ; French
Fees Service - to provider of PCOC course and test
Site Information
Located In Community Halton Region
Address & Map
Halton Region, ON
View Google Map
Physical Access Not Applicable
Categories and Classification
HCSD Main Heading Sports / Recreation
HCSD Sub Heading Boating
Service Categories Boat Registration ; Pleasure Craft Operator Cards

Any omissions are unintentional and HIP disclaims any liability for unauthorized use or reproduction of any portion of this site. For a complete copyright and license statement please refer to our Terms of Use.