Canada. Transport Canada

Service: Pleasure Craft Licensing / Registration and Proof of Competency / Pleasure Craft Operator Card (PCOC)

[  Suggest an Update |  Suggest Volunteer Opportunity ]
Record #: BTN3834 Last Full Update: 30 Mar 2015
Agency and Service Names
Alternate NameBoat operator's licence ; Small vessel licensing
Contact Information
Toll Free Phone1-800-267-6687
Social MediaFacebook Facebook, Flickr Flickr, Twitter Twitter, YouTube YouTube
Agency Information
Agency DescriptionTransport Canada is the federal government department responsible for transportation policies and programs. It promotes safe, secure, efficient and environmentally-responsible transportation.
Legal Status(40) Federal Government
Service Information
DescriptionTransport Canada has authority over licensing/registration of vessels and proof of competency of operator.  
All pleasure craft fitted with one or more motors adding up to a total of 10hp (7.5 kW) or more, and primarily kept and maintained in Canada, are required to be licensed or registered * a copy of licence/registration must be carried on board  
1) Pleasure Craft Licence:  
* a set of identification numbers at the front of the boat 
* essential for search and rescue emergency situations  
* no fee  
* Licence Application  
* for more information, forms and instructions see Transport Canada Pleasure Craft Licences: Questions and Answers 
2) Vessel Registration 
You may choose to register your boat instead of licensing 
* registration offers proof of ownership, and allows you to name your vessel 
* f you plan on taking your vessel outside Canada, Transport Canada recommends it be registered  
* payment of fee required.  
* if the craft is already registered, the vessel’s information can be found online  
* for more vessel registration information see here  
Everyone who operates a motorized pleasure craft must carry proof of competency on board 
* required in all of Canada, except the waters of Nunavut and Northwest Territories 
* required for all types of motorized boats, no matter the size or horsepower of the engine (also includes small boats with electric motors).  
Proof of competency can be any of the following:: 
* Pleasure Craft Operator Card (PCOC), obtained after passing an accredited boating safety test  
* Proof of having passed a boating safety course in Canada before April 1, 1999  
* a specified marine certificate from the List of Certificates of Competency, Training Certificates and other Equivalencies accepted as Proof of Competency when Operating a Pleasure Craft  
* a completed rental-boat safety checklist (good only for the rental period)  
* for Foreign Visitors, an operator card or equivalent which meets the requirements of their own state or country.  
For more information, including list of accredited course providers for PCOC, see Transport Canada National Pleasure Craft Operator Competency Program webpage 
Areas ServedCanada
EligibilityPleasure craft operators of any age and ability
LanguagesEnglish ; French
FeesService - to provider of PCOC course and test
Site Information
Located In CommunityHalton Region
AccessibilityNot Applicable
Taxonomy and Classification
Service CategoriesBoat Registration