Translate this page?

Canada. Transport Canada

Pleasure craft licensing and proof of competency, Pleasure Craft Operator Card (PCOC)

[  Suggest an Update |  Suggest Volunteer Opportunity ]
Record #: BTN3834 Last Full Update: 09 May 2013
Record Details
Alternate NameBoat operator's licence ; Small vessel licensing
Contact Numbers
Toll Free Phone1-800-267-6687
Contact Information
Located In CommunityHalton Region
Wheelchair AccessibilityUnknown or Not Applicable
Service Details
Areas ServedHalton Region
DescriptionA government department responsible for transportation policies and programs. It promotes safe, secure, efficient and environmentally-responsible transportation. 
Pleasure Craft Licence (licenses the craft, not the operator): 
Licenses are free and valid for 10 years * required for all pleasure craft equipped with motors of 10 horsepower (7.5 kW) or more, including personal watercraft, which are principally maintained or operated in Canada * must have a copy on board at all times and display the pleasure craft licence number on the bow of the boat above the waterline on both sides 
Owners of licensed pleasure craft have up to 90 days from the date of purchase to transfer a pleasure craft licence, during which time they may continue to operate their pleasure craft with the existing licence and a copy of the transfer documents on board. 
For complete information, forms and instructions see Transport Canada website * application forms are also available at local ServiceCanada centres. 
Proof of Competency (for operator)
Requires all operators of pleasure craft fitted with any type of motor and used for recreational purposes within Canada (except Nunavut and Northwest Territories) to carry proof of competency on board (basic level of boating safety knowledge). * must have one of the following on board at all times: 
1) Pleasure Craft Operator Card * issued by course provider after passing an accredited test * courses and tests offered by: Canadian Power and Sail Squadrons, including those in Burlington, North Halton and Oakville * BOATsmart Canada affiliates * and other locations (for full list of accredited course providers, see here
2) Proof of having passed a boating safety course in Canada prior to April 1, 1999 
3) A specified marine certificate from the List of Certificates of Competency, Training Certificates and other Equivalencies accepted as Proof of Competency 
4) A completed rental-boat safety checklist (good only for the rental period) 
For more information, see Transport Canada website. * Note: different rules apply to foreign visitors
EligibilityPleasure craft operators of any age and ability
FeesService - pleasure craft operator course and/or test
LanguagesEnglish ; French
Service Level(40) Federal Government
Service CategoriesBoat Registration