Halton Region is currently in the Red/Control level of the Provincial COVID-19 Response Framework.

Services listed here may be impacted in response to ongoing restrictions. Please contact agencies or programs listed on this page prior to visiting in person in order to receive up to date information on services.

Contact Information
Website https://www.ontario.ca/faq/i-lost-my-wallet-how-do-i-replace-my-government-identification
Agency Information
Legal Status (30) Provincial Government ; (40) Federal Government
Description and Service Details
Description (Service) This listing describes how to replace documents when wallet is lost or stolen 
It's always a good idea to keep photocopies of your identification in a safe place because it can help if you need to replace your identification documents in the future 
* your financial institution immediately to report your lost bank cards and credit cards 
* the Customer Service or Credit Department if you have lost a retail credit card or any other credit card (it may also be advisable to order a credit check six months later to ensure no new accounts have been opened) 
* your local police department to prevent any fraudulent use of your personal identification (be sure to obtain the report number and the badge number of the officer who takes the report) 
If you are unable to provide any proofs of identity or guarantor as shown below for replacement of documents: 
You can establish your identity for replacement of documents by swearing an affadavit before  
* a notary public 
* free public Commissioner of Oaths service at Centre for Skills Development and Training, for more information see here 
* Commissioner of Oaths at Burlington City Hall, Clerks Dept, 905-335-7600 ext 7803 (fee, available during selected hours only, for details see here)  
It may be useful to bring anything which shows your name, address etc (such as a piece of mail or utility bill) 
(in Burlington, these are at 3455 Fairview St and 1250 Brant St) 
Ontario health card 
* red and white health card: bring three original documents from the Ontario Health Coverage Document List (one to prove citizenship/immigration status, one to prove residency in Ontario, and one to prove identity 
* photo health card: call ServiceOntario at 1-800-664-8988 
Ontario driver's licence 
* bring a personal identification document (verifying your name, date of birth and signature) 
* a temporary driver's licence will be issued (new licence will arrive in the mail within 4 to 6 weeks) 
* fee applies 
Enhanced driver's licence 
* as of Jun 2019, the enhanced driver's licence is no longer offered and will not be replaced in case of theft 
* you will have to exchange your enhanced driver's licence for a regular driver's license 
Ontario photo card 
* complete the Ontario Photo Card application form available at a ServiceOntario centre 
* provide proof of legal name, date of birth, and signature 
* fee applies 
Ontario birth certificate (you should keep this certificate in a safe place and avoid carrying it in your wallet) 
* apply online (see here
* fee applies 
* if born outside Ontario, contact that province or country to replace your birth certificate 
(in Burlington, 676 Appleby Line) 
Social Insurance Number (SIN) 
A new SIN may be issued only in situations where there is a proof that the SIN was used fraudulently 
* if you do not remember your SIN, you can refer to your income tax return where your SIN can be found 
* to to request a confirmation of your SIN, you must provide a valid primary document that proves your identity and legal status in Canada (plastic SIN cards are no longer issued, instead, you will receive a letter confirming your Social Insurance Number) 
* If the name on your primary document is different from the name you currently use, a supporting document is also required  
* Take required documentation originals only, no photocopies in person to ServiceCanada  
* if everything is in order, SIN number/confirmation will be issued during your visit
Hours Vary by program
Areas Served Burlington
Eligibility No restrictions
Application Varies by program
Languages English
Fees Service - for some, varies by service
Site Information
Located In Community Burlington
Physical Access Not Applicable
Categories and Classification
HCSD Main Heading Government / Legal ; Topic Guides
HCSD Sub Heading ID (Identification) ; Special Topics
Service Categories Birth Certificates ; Identification Cards

Agency Overview

Any omissions are unintentional and HIP disclaims any liability for unauthorized use or reproduction of any portion of this site. For a complete copyright and license statement please refer to our Terms of Use.